I've been thinking recently about how much time I have spent as a third wheel during my short 21 years of life. It seems like I'm always a third or fifth . . . or thirteenth wheel. Sometimes is gets pretty irritating, but most of the time I'm pretty comfortable as a third wheel. Tricycles aren't so bad right? It's nice and safe, very non-threatening.
I've realized that I'm comfortable as a tricycle, and I'm perfectly happy as a unicycle. I like being alone. I have a good time by myself. I think I'm pretty good company. I like being able to do whatever I want and not worry about anyone else. It's just me, and it's alright. I like it that way.
But I was thinking lately, why am I so happy by myself and so comfortable as a third wheel while the thought of two wheels is so unsettling? Maybe I'm afraid of falling and getting hurt again. Maybe I just like the ease of being able to do what I want. Maybe I like that I get to make my own plans. Maybe I just don't want change. Two wheels seems dangerous. I didn't learn how to ride a two-wheeler until I was about 10 or 11, and I think it may be a while before I am ready to give up my unicycle for a two-wheeler.
Sunday, October 31, 2010
unicycle
Posted by Ali at 11:48 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Ali, you can take the time you need and not rush. But I am so glad you aren't one of those girls that acts like they aren't scared or comfortable and just blame it on other people (men). I admire you for your honesty with yourself. One day--you will make the big leap of faith, and find out it is the most thrilling experience on two-wheels. I love you dearest, can't wait to see you in less than a month!!!!!
I thoroughly enjoyed this-- I have been anticipating it :) You ARE great company all by yourself-- I love having you everywhere I go!
I like your analogy, Ali. Maybe because I was also slow to learn to ride a bicycle and I'm still not comfortable with it. In general I'm more comfortable with your metaphoric bicycle, although not at this point in my life. But I'm okay with that too.
Post a Comment