Since You’ve Got Mail is my favorite movie of all time and in light of Nora Ephron’s passing, I feel a tribute post is in order.
I have probably watched You’ve Got Mail a minimum of 50 times in my life. When Kelsey and I were living at Foxwood I think we watched it at least once a week. And of course we watched it on her last night in Provo. We have the whole movie memorized. When I need a pick-me-up, You’ve Got Mail is the go-to. You've Got Mail tells me that change can be good, even when it's horrible. It gives me hope in love and in people. It teaches the importance of friendships and growth.
I love every moment of You’ve Got Mail. I love the music. I love all the characters.
Frank, the greatest living expert on Julius and Ethel Rosenberg, and his typewriter.
Kathleen: “It happened in Spain. People do really stupid things in foreign countries.”
Frank: “Yes, they buy leather jackets for much more than they’re worth, but they don’t fall in love with fascist dictators!”
When George says he’s “going to get some eucalyptus candles ‘cause it makes my apartment smell moss-ay!” and that “the internet is just another way of being rejected by women.” I love Christina and Birdie and the Shop Around the Corner.
Patricia makes coffee nervous.
I am actually in love with Joe Fox. I think my favorite line of his is, “I was eloquent! Shit!”
I love his emails.
“Don’t you love New York in the fall? It makes me want to buy school supplies. I would send you a bouquet of newly sharpened pencils if I knew your name and address.”
Every time I struggle with making a decision, I think about Joe’s email about Starbucks.
“People who don’t know what the hell they’re doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!”
I love when they discuss the meaning behind NY152.
Joe: “Mr. 152 Felony indictments.”
Kathleen: “Mr. 152 insights into my soul!”
Joe: “Oh yeah. No competing with that.”
When I get a dog I will probably name him Brinkley.
I see so much of myself in Kathleen Kelly. When she has a hard time saying what she needs to say, that is me. I love watching her develop her voice, which is something I am still working on. {Remember how I like harmony and hate conflict?}
I love how Nora’s female characters are sweet and feminine, but strong and smart and witty. Too many heroines of newer romantic comedies are crass and harsh. {Side note, Kathleen was almost my middle name. That's what my dad wanted, but my mom vetoed it and I have no middle name. Because of this movie I wish it was my middle name!}
I wholeheartedly agree with Kathleen when she says "When you read a book as a child it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does." {For me, see To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, Anthem, Narnia . . . }
Because of her I always feel embarrassed when I introduce myself by my first name only. I am not a cocktail waitress. She makes me want to twirl and carry a handkerchief with daisies.
I love how Nora’s female characters are sweet and feminine, but strong and smart and witty. Too many heroines of newer romantic comedies are crass and harsh. {Side note, Kathleen was almost my middle name. That's what my dad wanted, but my mom vetoed it and I have no middle name. Because of this movie I wish it was my middle name!}
I wholeheartedly agree with Kathleen when she says "When you read a book as a child it becomes a part of your identity in a way that no other reading in your whole life does." {For me, see To Kill a Mockingbird, Harry Potter, Anthem, Narnia . . . }
Because of her I always feel embarrassed when I introduce myself by my first name only. I am not a cocktail waitress. She makes me want to twirl and carry a handkerchief with daisies.
I would like for someone to remember me as enchanting.
I hope all of the girls I know will follow Nora’s advice:
“Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim.”
Thank your, Nora Ephron. Thank your.





1 comments:
Lovely. Of course.
(This one's great with the commentary, too.)
Post a Comment