Thursday, June 7, 2012

so brave, young, and handsome


Peace Like a River by Leif Enger is one of my favorite books, so I thought it was about time to read his second book, So Brave, Young, and Handsome. Had I not read Peace Like a River first, I probably would have enjoyed this book more. I think my expectations were a little too high, but overall it was still a good book. I really love the way Lief Enger writes. I think his prose is so poetic and it just flows. He is one of few authors that I read more for the way it sounds than for the story, although I do love his stories. There is something so romantic about cowboys and outlaws and travels West, especially when Leif Enger is writing. I also think he writes brilliant characters that are so full of life. I wouldn't rank this book in my list of favorites, but I did think it was a lovely novel.

My favorite parts from So Brave, Young, and Handsome:

"She believed romance was no mere ingredient but the very stone floor on which all life makes its fretful dance."

"In times of dread it's good to have an old man along. An old man has seen worse."

2 comments:

A Mitton said...

I really loved that book. He gave a reading at Powells the year it came out and I got to hear him read. Was there with his brother Lin, who read from his book Undiscovered Country. Get it, it's also great. Hearing him read made me fall mildly in love. You're right, his writing sounds lovely.

Heather said...

still need to read both of them. thanks for reminding me, I'll start after the marathon! :)